[RE-wrenches] checking grid for power quality

Greg Egan greg at remotepowerinc.com
Sun Oct 17 13:35:19 PDT 2010

Wrenches,

I have a client with a SMA 700 inverter set up as a windy boy.  It's in
a remote Alaskan village powered by diesel generation.  I haven't been
to the site but judging by the size of the community the utility load
probably varies between 50 and 300 kW depending on time of day/season -
point being it's not trying to backfeed a tiny genset.

The turbine is not producing the power that would be expected with the
wind resource they have.  I'd like to log some V and Hz data and see
what the grid is doing up there.  Any suggestions on sensors and/or
techniques for getting this data?  They already have a CR1000 on site
they're using to see how the home is performing and how much power is
being produced by the wind and solar systems so I'm assuming that the
sensors could be read by the existing logger and the data fed to the web
for download.

Thanks for all you do,

Greg Egan
Remote Power Inc.
Fairbanks AK
NABCEP certified PV Installer and licensed Electrician