[RE-wrenches] High end Lawn Art was: NABCEP - grid tie---Off grid

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Mon Nov 30 09:16:25 PST 2009

I disagree, but maybe I'm just a sucker for BIPV since it's on my house.
A lot of BIPV work- integrating into skylights, facades, or tile- could
be interpreted as being "not a good renewable application," due to
higher operating temperature or imperfect orientation.

Obviously, when looking at a prospective installation you should do the
best with what you have and if you have a choice between two array
locations, then with all else being equal you should install the array
where it operates the most efficiently.

I think the key is just to make sure the customer is aware of the
inefficiency that accompanies an installation like this. We're going to
see a lot more BIPV in the future, and often we'll be locked in to the
original geometries of the buildings; the aesthetics of
awkwardly-oriented BIPV will likely win out over a high-profile racking
system that keeps the system at optimal efficiency. There will still be
jobs to turn down (e.g. an architect wants a building's white facade to
be the backs of modules, while insisting on a 10-year payback).

DKC