[RE-wrenches] High end Lawn Art was: NABCEP - grid tie---Off grid

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Mon Nov 30 06:09:54 PST 2009

Hi Dave,

Isn't using the building face or other appendage, rather than or in addition
to the roof what one definition of BIPV is ?

Regarding the non optimum azimuth orientation -

Unfortunate that others around the country are seeing poorly implemented
renewable applications, too. IMHO, this is terribly counter productive in
that a highly visible system gives the message to the viewers that this is a
valid application. Perhaps it is a cost effective _marketing tool_, but
_not_ a good renewable application. It unfortunately promotes the general
public's misunderstanding of what a good installation is. Moreover, this
nonsense is often implemented by users that are promoting their technical
expertise (obviously in areas other than solar, hopefully).

The up side to this travesty of resources, materials, and labor is that the
solar array is less obviously, not performing well as compared to a wind
machine sitting idle.

I believe it was Red Adair (the world class oil field fire fighter) who is
given credit for the expression, "Don't be afraid to walk away." A sentiment
that might find use here.

I am aware of others on this List that have a web "Rogue's Gallery" of how
not to do it. Is there any place where this is a unified collection?

Respectfully,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar