[RE-wrenches] "its a UL listed assembly"

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 23 10:05:35 PST 2009

>  These inspectors were explaining to me that the feeder IS
>  the buss and 120%... and its really hard to explain the intent with the language of the paragraph. It needs to
>  be 2 separately described scenarios in my opinion, to avoid the constant misunderstanding.

Wow, I thought that was fairly clear: If its on the load side of the main disco, it comes under the 120% rule, and if its on the line side of the disco, it falls under the tap rule.
If they say to apply the 120% rule on the line side, then you'd have to look at the rating of the Utility's disco or the Kva rating of the transformer upstream.
Its probably fairly large, so 120% would leave plenty of room.
Oh,but then what, you have to subtract the neighbor's solar system back feed from the 120%? They're definitely misapplying the code here, IMO.

> It seems like these inspectors consider the "voiding the UL listing" is a dead wall conversation ender. I'm
>  almost willing to admit you are right, it is totally valid, which makes the point of .64 come into question.

I do see the inspectors point here, though. I had wondered before about Wrenches drilling and tapping into buss bars.
If you know what you're doing, you can make a great connection, but if you don't know about the alloy of the buss, or pay attention to the hole size relative to the buss thickness, you could cause trouble.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could get an extra certification/ license/ training that would allow us to do stuff like that?
We could call it the "Certified UL Assembly Molester"  card.

> looks like someone involved here is buying a service upgrade. surprise!

If its almost 50 years old like you say, it might be doing them a favor anyway.

Good Luck,

Ray

BTW, my house has 101 year old wiring, so we should all do our work like it's going to last for 7 generations. It just might.