[RE-wrenches] CBI circuit breakers

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Mon Jul 27 23:22:59 PDT 2009

Allan Sindelar wrote:
> Dan,
> My understanding is that CBI breakers aren't based on a temperature-related
> mechanical action, but a "magnetic-hydraulic" function. I recall that this
> was marketed (by Outback? Robin?) as superior to thermal-trip mechanisms as
> it was not prone to heat-induced nuisance tripping. boB can probably set us
> straight here.

Yep.   Magnetic-Hydraulic they are indeed....

If you connect them up backwards, they don't quench the arc so well.

One thing I seem to remember is that if they are hot, the trip time
changes somewhat.   That has to do with
the little magnetic piece that floats around inside the hydraulic fluid
that can change viscosity (slightly) with
temperature.

Taking one of these little babies apart and looking closely at how it is
constructed can be very educational.  Somewhere, we
have a Mag-Hyd breaker made out of clear plastic which really shows it
all well.

And Kent....  That is very strange that it was in the "off" position...
I don't suppose......  Nah !  Someone wouldn't have forgotten
to switch it on.?   Nahh....  PV Gremlins in the night ?   Nahh. !

boB