[RE-wrenches] Lightning protection (was: Grounding on a glacier??)

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Jul 24 15:42:55 PDT 2009

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs06grc.html

Plasma Contactor
The Space Station arrays operate at 160 volts dc. When the arraysare producing power, the station structure will also tend to float to avoltage close to the array voltage. Under these conditions, the SpaceStation could be subjected to problems like arcing from its surface tothe surrounding environment. To avoid these problems, the structure hasbeen "grounded" with a plasma contactor.Image right:  Plasma contactor that will protect the structure of the Space Station  Credit:  NASA

The plasma contactor unit acts as an electrical ground rod toconnect the Space Station structure to the local environment andharmlessly dissipate the structure charges. NASA Glenn engineersdesigned, manufactured and tested the hollow cathode assembly, which isthe critical component of the plasma contactor unit. The hollow cathodeassembly performs this function by converting a small supply of gasinto ions and electrons and discharging this stream to space. Thestream carries with it the excess electrons that created the surfacecharge.