[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Grounding on a glacier??

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Jul 23 08:16:59 PDT 2009

Hi Jay,

An interesting quandary indeed. My thoughts are to build a grid of
radials with short ground rods at the ends, extending in all
directions from the equipment. This approach does not use anything but
wire, short ground rods and ground connectors so there is no equipment
to fail or replace.

You have very low conductivity on the ice so static builds up. What
you are trying to do is increase conductivity by equalizing
(neutralize) the potential in the area around the communications gear.
This is not really a grounding system but an effort to force all
electrons to neutral in the immediate area. You want as many radials
as possible in all directions from the comm gear. Make the radials as
long as is practical but don't sacrifice number of radials for length,
i.e. more is better. If you can leave materials behind, grow the
radial network each time you have opportunity to bring in more material.

For SURE you want to bond all equipment together and test these bonds
with a megohm meter to make sure they are potentially the same. Then
attach the equipment stack to your radial system and megohm that bond.
Use as wide a copper material as you can carry in.

If your problem is human contact, make sure you discharge to the
radial network and bond yourself before touching any equipment. You
can use a static wrist strap. A surge suppressor is useless if it has
no ground reference to conduct to so I would not pursue that approach.

Example of radial system for RF purposes: http://harvesting.com/tower/photos/radials.jpg

That's my best guess on a solution. Let me know if you try this.

Kindest Regards,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
(928) 941-1660
Renewable Energy Products, Service and Installation

Mailing Address (NO SHIPPING):
11881 S Fortuna Rd.
Yuma, AZ 85367

Shipping and retail store (NO MAIL):