[RE-wrenches] Roof Loading request for help

Chris Meier chrism at unirac.com
Fri Jul 10 12:28:44 PDT 2009

Wes you have a great point.

            Using PSF for a solar array can be a little misleading. With your example with 3.3 psf and a worse case down force wind load of 29 psf we exert a total of 32.3 psf on the 300 ft2 array for 9690lbs total, or 323lbs per attachment. This may not seem bad as basic 90 mph wind on 15 ft high building, but know put 4 or 5 attachments on the same structural member and now that member is carrying 1292 - 1615 lbs. This is not an evenly distributed load but multiple point loads. Will it crash a common house? No, but it does point out a distributed load can be miss leading. Using this lets say the installer spreads the attachment spacing out from 4' to 8'. The point load will double and if he does not stager the attachments from rail to rail the point loads will now be on less structural members increasing the member loads into 2584 - 3230lbs. All these options are still based on 3.3 psf array load at a 300 ft2 array. Now think of other point loads the building may have, HVAC and other mechanical equipment the closer we get to those the more we point loads can add up.

As a general rule I do not worry much about this, but as you move into higher wind and snow loads this can really become an issue; even if the roof can handle the load using a PSF type rating, the point loads can be very surprising. The dead load of the array is normally not the primary concern. It is the live load of wind, dead load of snow and the array that can step up and get us in some rare circumstance.

In my limited dealings with inspectors some seem to realize this so they want to see that the structure can handle these point loads. In other locations they seem to accept that if the loads are 500lbs or less then it will be ok, but go above this and they want engineering. Or they do not even care or think about it at all.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris Meier

Residental Program Manager

UniRac, Inc.