[RE-wrenches] Roof Loading request for help

wes kennedy hathasolar at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 10:44:48 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I am fully in favor of standardized permitting, and streamlining the process of installing PV.  With that said, I do think the "one layer of shingles = PV on roof thing" is apples and oranges.  Though the deadloading in psf is similar, PV doesn't sit on the roof, it lands on some sort of attachment, standoff, l-foot, what-have-you.

This leads to pretty high point loading values, doesn't it?  If you spread your 1000 lb array around 300 square feet, you get your 3.3 psf, BUT if it lands on 30 L feet, each of 4 square inches you end up with much higher points of concentrated loading.

Anybody worry  about that?

Thanks!
Wes Kennedy
NABCEPian