[RE-wrenches] Grid-Connect Inverter with battery, AND auto backoff ?

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Wed Jun 24 10:32:08 PDT 2009

I've done this on a couple of mega-homes, where load shedding is the only option to manage loads that exceed the most massive inverter stack possible. As w/your customer mine did not care for any interface at all and in both cases they are thinking about rental when away and know that guests will not do anything but gripe.
We used servo-breakers (one is Sq.D and the other is Siemens) and a PLC w/current sensors on each sub panel. When current approaches 90% of inverter output we shed loads priortized w/customer input. When we get to a point of load shed inconvenience a signal is sent to start the genset(s). The PLC allows extensive options and load management. For example, of the 17 AC's we never allow more than 6 on at any given moment and none run more than 15 mins. in any one hour interval. Allen Bradly (PLC) and SQ.D make very solid and reliable products and our 1st year has gone w/o issue. The only inteface the customer has to to press one of 3 keys - A,B or C. each one is a different use scenario. For example - owner away (minimize all AC's and refrigeration), owner present, and full on party mode with maximum guests.
The gear is not real cheap or is it crazy expensive, nor is it that complex to work with and the reliability is high and well proven over many years. From what I read in this string this is what your customer is looking for.
Good luck!
-jeff o