[RE-wrenches] Grid-Connect Inverter with battery, AND auto backof f?

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Wed Jun 24 10:41:54 PDT 2009

Hi Joel,
The system I designed at the Real Goods Solar Living Center was been grid-tied and on battery back-up for 13 years now, goes back to the non net-metering days and 2 meters. I did a whole "house" back-up with 2 SW5548's on the lighting panel and 2 SW5548's on the plug-load panel. PV is about 11kW and battery is good for 8 hours of store back-up. We kept one office off of back-up so we would know when a power failure occurs and energy use could be cut back a bit. All the usual problems of you see over 13 years - inverter issues, batteries not liking a life in float, CC failures and so on, but agin nothing that we would not experience on a typical o-t-g system.
Take care old buddy,
-jeff o