[RE-wrenches] Surrette Battery Terminal Repair

robert ellison reellison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:33:11 PST 2009

Hi Travis,
That cell will have 2 or 3 posts coming out of the battery and you will need
to use a post cutter to remove the old mounting foot. Quick cable has them,
any other method id an incredible pain in the tail and hard to get the posts
right, and that makes them hard to weld back together,
Once you get the old foot off, fan the cells to get all of the gas out
there, kinda scary when they pop off if you miss some! (ALSO DANGEROUS)
Also, don't do it in the battery room unless it has been vented and unused
(no charging or discharging) for several hours. If you do that remove all
the caps and fan all the cells.
You can not do this with a hand torch, you will need oxy propane (cleaner)
or acetylene (Sp) but its dirtier.
Get a piece of the old terminal to use for the lead, just clean it up real
good. It will work in an emergency, unless you have a lead stick on hand.
Clean it up real shiny on both parts and set the new foot on the
posts.itshould fit relatively tight. Use a real low flame, too much in
one spot will
melt it out and ruin it. Get the lead liquid and add just enough to fill it
in. They are pretty ugly till you get the hang of it, but it can be done. I
do it on big packs all the time.
I just did one with a sawzall and a file but it took me 2 trys to get it
right. I got the connection too tight and the terminal split when I heated
it. I had a bag of terminals and extra lead in the truck so we were good to
do with that one. Just for information the terminal was ripped off by the
constant force from a 4/0 THHN battery interconnect. From looking at it it
have been failing for a while from the strain.
I prefer welded connectors to cables on the big battery banks. No bad
connections from corrosion and who are they gonna call for service? This is
a pretty unusual skill set to have and the companies that service the big
banks charge $65.+ an hour from when they leave till they return to the
shop, in short it's easy to look good. In this area they are 100 miles away
so it's even easier!

If you want more detail let me know or I can send you a number if you want
to go over it on the phone.

Later,
Bob