[RE-wrenches] solar hot water nighttime recirc

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Fri Dec 18 14:49:15 PST 2009

In terms of technique, the easiest way to accomplish this is to plumb a
valve in parallel with the systems' check valve, and have the customer open
it when nighttime diversion is necessary (middle of summer, customer on
vacation, no draw on system, etc). Unless the piping size or path limits it,
heat will dissipate through the collectors passively via reverse
thermosyphon, especially if using 1" or larger pipe.

Kirk Herander

Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202

NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar Installer