[RE-wrenches] Bonding Rails

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Nov 17 11:56:15 PST 2009

We have been using WEEB clips on all of our installations for over a year
now. We include the WEEB data/installation sheets in our permit package and
patiently point out the clips to inspectors who haven't seen the WEEB system
yet.

Two questions:

(1)     For ProSolar rails, can we use one WEEB clip to bond two adjacent
modules (say, modules A and B) on the upper rail (say, rail #1) and then use
a second WEEB clip to bond the next two adjacent modules (say, modules C and
D) on the lower rail (say, rail #2) and then use a listed lay-in lug (with
in our case a WEEB clip) to bond to either rail #1 or #2 to continue the
grounding?

(2)     If we DON"T use WEEB clips and use the conventional bonding
methodology per module manufacturer's instructions (proper location on the
module, and listed screws, washers and nuts), do we have to ALSO bond the
rails? We have an inspector in Pasadena, CA that is requiring this, but this
is the first time we have been required to do so. Perhaps in the past year
in ignorant bliss we have missed an important development? Or have we been
dodging bullets for seven years and not even knowing it?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
 <mailto:peter.parrish at calsolareng.com> peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885