[RE-wrenches] Tape for attaching NEC Labels

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:06:18 PST 2009

Hi Bob,

3M VHB 4945 is the good stuff. You will need to properly prepare both
surfaces for best adhesion. Do not assume that just wiping the surface with
a rag will suffice. Particularly painted &/or oxidized surfaces. Use a
cleaning agent and clean rags or cloths. Works best with moderate
temperatures and low humidity. The "worst" thing you can have happen is to
have your placard fall off because the tape didn't stick permanently to the
opposing surface. Now you have a placard ($$$) with some really stubborn
gooey stuff ($$$) stuck to the back that you have to clean off and start
over. So much better to do it right the first time.

MUCH better pricing is available IF you can take a few rolls.
www.pack-n-tape.com <http://www.pack-n-tape.com/>  is one source.
3/4" x 36 yd; Min 12 rolls; $62.04/roll
1" x 36 yd; Min 9 rolls; $77.56/roll
2" x 36 yd; Min 6 rolls; $155.10/roll

You might also be able to get a good deal from one of the formerly
whoop-de-do-big-shot integrators that are on their way out of business right
now. From what I hear, everything must go and any offer will be
considered.... If you hear of any of these, give 'em a call. I'm not gonna
mention any names to anybody, so please don't ask.

Some folks might get their panties in a bunch over this, but I prefer
mechanical attachment for outdoor applications on vertical surfaces. Tap &
screw or rivet. Spot the back (inside) with a good liquid sealant and call
it a day. I know... "might violate enclosure NEMA whatever rating"... Is the
intent to put a permanent placard on or not? I have seen way too many
missing placards over the years. Always with the same signature... Some
discolored adhesive.

There's a reason that mature electrical equipment manufacturers (Square D,
GE, Cutler-Hammer, Etc) use mechanical fasteners to attach their signage!

-Matt Lafferty

  _____