[RE-wrenches] DC positive and negative in same conduit, other inspection issues

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Aug 20 04:15:49 PDT 2009

Thanks all.

It was my understanding that we should still be running the conductors
of the same circuit through the same raceway, even if it is the DC input
into the inverter since that DC oscillates slightly (nowhere near as
much as AC). I wasn't concerned about eddy currents in the FNMC of
course but the metal box itself, a concern being voiced on this list
before. I'd be more concerned about this if it were a 1MW inverter
rather than a 7kW, but still.

Thanks for the info on the GEC tap and I'm glad the split bolts work here.

The conduit in question doesn't seem to be there just for physical
protection; the wire runs from the east end of the array for 100'+ and
only the last 3' are in conduit. If it were only for protection I'd be
fine with it being open-ended on both ends, but since it's there to feed
the conductors into the box, that's why I was treating it as a regular
conduit that required a cord grip at the other end. Where do others make
the distinction?

Thanks,
DKC