[RE-wrenches] DC positive and negative in same conduit, other inspection issues

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Wed Aug 19 18:10:44 PDT 2009

Dave,
Only GEC's are subject to the "continuous" rule (250.64C). It sounds like
your are talking about an EGC tapped from the GEC.

When splicing PV GEC's required under 690.47D, either together (from
separated arrays) or to the existing AC GEC (if close enough), we have been
allowed to use split bolts instead of irreversible splices, per 250.64D1,
"Grounding Electrode Conductor Taps" (at end of paragraph). I.E., the
"continuous" rule is only being applied to the main GEC.

I agree with Kurt on the LTNMF being used only as extra (not required) wire
protection for the USE-2. We often do this when running PV conductors
between short separations in modules or rails. I would think that only
temperature and fill corrections would apply - and only if the length
requires.

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC