[RE-wrenches] ballasted roof rack - on the ground?

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Thu Aug 20 20:35:19 PDT 2009

esteemed wrenches (or just steamed if youve been out in the hot lately)

I'm curious why more folks don't use the same flat roof ballasted rack approach for large ground mounts? Geotech weed barier and off we go... my initial calcs sat its a cost saver... my instinct says it viable, but my other instinct says "if it were this easy I would see it all the time (and I've never seen it)

what's up? frost heave/instability? wav-i-ness of the ground? better performance at steep angle worth all the extra cost (not according to my pencil with today's mod costs). Thoughts?

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
President
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.