[RE-wrenches] Seasonal Adjusters

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sat Aug 15 18:51:34 PDT 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 6:49 PM, jay peltz wrote:

> I don't have a photo, but have seen a pole mount, in the ground,
> run up the side of the building, supported by the building by a
> bracket,  which can mount a tracking or non tracking pole mount.

> jay

We've done mounts like this before, when the roof was too sketchy to
mount to, or an off grid system with a roof not facing close enough
to south. It works pretty well: no penetrations or loading on the
roof, still allows one bolt  tilt adjust,  azimuth to due south
regardless of building orientation, etc.
We normally would sit the pole in concrete, and then attach it with
unistrut to the wall in a couple of spots. The unistrut would be long
enough to catch 2 or 3 wall studs, and then attach to the pipe with
a 6" unistrut  clamp.
As better roof mounting products have become available, we have been
moving away from this method. Also, Grid tie just isn't near as
critical for panel orientation, where as a small off-grid system in
the winter really needs to be tilted to at least 30 deg, and within
20 deg of south to work right.
Funny teaching us old off gridders to quit tilting, etc. with grid
tie. Bill Brooks had some humorous examples of off grid sensibility
applied in very ugly fashion to grid tie systems. At some point, I
think NABCEP should consider separate certifications, as Off grid and
grid tie have such different design requirements.

Ray Walters