[RE-wrenches] Solar Installers Education

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sun Jul 19 09:43:01 PDT 2009

Joel,

As a friend, I have enjoyed your perspectives on our business, even though I
usually don't agree with everything you say. I have never taken you to task
in a public forum, but I can't let your latest post go without comment.

There is a reason we call these guys DIYs. They have no experience and
limited knowledge; in other words they are not professionals. And, by the
way, what do you mean by "so-called professional". I can't believe you tell
some one who wants to get into the solar business to first put one on their
home as a DIY. Could you in good conscience recommend someone who has never
stepped foot on a roof in their lives to spend a week on one in 90-100
degree weather, in physical contact with modules and other components that
are cooking at 145 degrees, and DC voltages approaching 600 V? Squinting at
a layout/schematic the likes of which they have never seen before? Someone
who hasn't used anything more than an 8 ft step ladder or doesn't know what
a safety harness is?

You also oversimplify: an appropriate apprenticeship for an installer is not
the same as that for a design engineer or a salesperson.

You don't need to have installed the PV system you own to appreciate how it
works.

I am personally aware of three DIY solar projects as well as a dozen or so
contractor-installed systems that we have been called out to troubleshoot
and fix. Even the best DIY project was worse than worst contractor-installed
job.

All,

But here is my main point. I have a pretty good test of what is key in this
PV business of ours. I get a call at least once a week from some one who
wants me to "help them with a PV installation". In addition to DIYs, I get
these calls from B and C-10 contractors, facilities managers, apartment
owners, and the like. They will take care of [fill in the part that they
think they have covered] and they only need help with [fill in the part they
need help on].

They usually have spent some time on the internet and have an idea of what
modules to use and have teased a quote out of a manufacturer or distributor
for "5-50 kW" of PV; they usually have some un(der)employed electricians who
can read a blueprint, bend and hang conduit and pull wire.

What they don't know is how to

(1)     Specify an appropriately sized system

(2)     Design a system (panel orientation, shading, structural calcs,
string sizing, ampacity calcs, over current protection, grounding),

(3)     Specify all the speciality BoS components or where to buy them.

(4)     Put together a permit package (that will pass ARB, Planning, Safety
and Fire department muster)

(5)     Perform the mechanical side of the installation (read roof
penetrations)

They usually know about the 30% ITC (or grant) but they just need a little
help with the rebate application, which usually means they have some un(der)
employed back office folks as well.

So for me it boils down to (1) Performance-optimized, Code-compliant Design
(Bill Brooks, are you listening?), (2) Plans & Permitting and (3) Mechanical
Installation

Moreover, what they usually have in the back of their mind is to buy this
expertise once from us and then do it all themselves from then on. Some have
audacity to use the phrase "I'd like to pick your mind". Can you imagine
that?

I second the comment about off-grid, and even though we install grid-tied,
battery back-up systems a fair amount - I still don't pretend to understand
the complete off-grid scenario well enough to properly design one.

Regards,

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
 <mailto:peter.parrish at calsolareng.com> peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885

  _____