[RE-wrenches] Enphase Recall?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jun 23 08:55:43 PDT 2009

Peter:

I have no problem separating those statements that can be supported by fact
checking and those that are open to interpretation.  A recall should have
some public record, so if a representative says there has been none, I tend
to belive it.  I don't know or care what their expectations are, but I am
always concerned about a new manufacturer and a new product.

Here is what I think is the biggest problem with the whole concept:  99.99%
of our warranty repairs are on inverters.  I have no desire to peel up a
row of modules to get to a bad inverter.  Since I rebuilt my first Rambler,
I have always known the maxim that accessibility is a key component of the
mechanics of any design, and the Enphase violates that maxim.

I want to wait and see what the Enphase product reliability is before I
make a big commitment.  In the meantime, there is some pressure to install
these.  Our response is to continue to use "bottom-up" installation
techniques adapted to the Enphase so we can get to the inverters when or if
needed.

William Miller