[RE-wrenches] Enphase Recall?

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Jun 19 10:47:05 PDT 2009

Is anyone as bothered about this as I am?

Well, I'm not.

The Wrenches list has always had space and encouragement for a single
technical representative from a manufacturer. That's a major asset in
principle on the list. So far, Marv has kept to the limits of the role of
such a rep. It seemed to me that Marv's explanations were as clear and
direct as could be.

That's my $.02.3. Certainly there's room for other opinions that differ from
mine, Peter. Besides, I'm an off-grid man.

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com

NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer

EE98J Journeyman Electrician

Positive Energy, Inc.

3201 Calle Marie

Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507

505 424-1112

www.positiveenergysolar.com

  _____

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
[mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Peter
Parrish

Mr. Welch et al,

I am personally embarrassed by this thread. First, it is at its best rumor
mongering. Don't get me wrong, a little mongering often is the first step in
teasing out the truth. So, we need to quickly move from mongering to the
facts.

What really bothers me is Marv's participation. Marv works for EnPhase and
therefore is biased. Is he otherwise qualified to be on this list?

Let me parse one of his statements (see below). Remember, we are talking
about a possible "recall". Marv uses his post to prattle on about:

"Demand has far exceeded our expectations.  This has led to challenges with
product availability which may have resulted in misinformation in the
field."

The first sentence is a bit of well crafted propaganda. The first problem
EnPhase had is that they discontinued one product, without sufficient notice
to their supply chain. This resulted in unfulfilled orders, sore
distributors, aggravated installers and irate customers. As to
"expectations" we can only guess whether the statement is factual, as we are
not privy to EnPhase's expectations.

The second statement about [demand exceeding expectations leading to]
"challenges with product availability" is also misleading. Lack of [new]
product availability was a consequence to a problematic transition to a
contract manufacturer. So Enphase could not longer deliver the old product
and was not able to deliver the new product either. Under the circumstances,
they couldn't fulfill a single order.

Finally, if Marv is talking about a "recall" being "misinformation in the
field", he may be correct in so stating. But that's about it.

I honestly don't know if we can filter marketing (i.e. propaganda)
statements from manufacturer representatives, Michael Welch's job is tough
enough. So if Marv and others are qualified to post self-serving statements
about their Company's products, maybe all we can do is to comment on them
when we read them.

Is anyone as bothered about this as I am?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885