[RE-wrenches] Chinese solar cells and modules and pricing

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 10:11:11 PDT 2009

I have a lot of respect for Bill, not just because he sometimes agrees with
me (smile), but because he worked at Davis California PVUSA and other places
and saw a lot of innovative, but flawed PV. He knows first-hand that dozens
of PV companies and/or products have come and gone in the search for the
$0.10/kWh holy grail.

I wish the Chinese well, but am concerned about the wisdom of buying Chinese
modules. On the one hand, I welcome China into the league of nations and
support their progress toward democracy. Hopefully, Chinese national and
local dictators will grow up and become civilized. On the other hand, latest
reports from China, according to Hapoalim Securities analyst Gordon Johnson,
is that Chinese solar module factory workers are willing to work for
little-to-no-pay. There's a big difference between "volunteering" in the war
of economic imperialism against the West and the volunteer work Wrenches
perform in their communities and around the world.

But back to nuts-and-volts. Last year China became the largest producer of
crystalline silicon solar cells. Although some companies admit that their
modules are made in China, few companies with factories outside of China say
they build their modules with cells outsourced from China. This is not all
bad news because crystalline silicon cells are some of the most stable
products ever made. However, you do have to protect yourself and your
customers' investments, especially if you are a California contractor
required to give 10-year system warranties. I recommend getting each
module's IV curve, keeping the IV curves in your customer file, performing
pre-installation tests (at least Voc and Isc), and performing annual systems
inspections and tests. Look for cell-tab corrosion, front and backsheet
delamination, and discoloration. Most customers will pay to see you once a
year if your manner is professional and your service charge is reasonable.

Joel Davidson