[RE-wrenches] Chinese solar cells and modules and pricing

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 22:19:57 PDT 2009

All,

How many of these Chinese manufacturers will still be in existence in 5
years (probably less than half)? Are you really willing to risk a company
and reputation for a few pennies per watt? Certainly several of the big
companies are likely to survive, but you are playing a new game of "Chinese
roulette" with many of these companies.

These are manufacturing companies, not stable companies with a long past and
future. The value proposition is so dramatically different from a major
company to one of these Chinese manufacturing companies to make the
comparison nearly idiotic. Most of the installers using these products have
way more guts than I have. Many will find their guts on the ground as the
get disemboweled by bad choices. Don't you love the imagery.

Yingli's one of the big companies now, they might survive. I'm sure they are
learning every month that they proceed how to better manufacture modules.
They have been a player for two years--no major problems--YET. How does a
year in the field show that a company is doing everything correctly? Oh, and
their fuse size is 10 amps on an 8 amp Isc module. They obviously are not
all that sophisticated.

Folks, you need to let the dumb contractors screw up and buy the cheap
stuff. Now, more than ever, you have to sell on brand. The more the young
Chinese stuff gets in the field and craps out, the worse our industry is
going to take it on the chin in the public eye. It's just not worth the
price difference. As Joel points out, let the multi-MW projects make the
stupid mistakes--that will just scare away the capital investment--oh wait a
minute--we really need that.

Bill.