[RE-wrenches] Chinese solar cells and modules and pricing

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sat Jun 6 12:30:00 PDT 2009

I'm seeing ~ $2.60/watt from a major Chinese manufacturer for a modest
volume purchase.

What are you all seeing as far as $/watt?

marco

Joel,
Since late last year we've been stocking the Yingli 175w single-crystal
modules. They seem dependable, haven't heard of any problems with them.
Earlier in the year they were a low-cost choice for very cost-sensitive
projects, but they were a 1st choice for very, very few dealers. Lately,
with all PV prices tumbling, they've been even less attractive. I think the
immediate future for Chinese modules will be developing country projects,
and very large projects where price points matter more than a dependable
track record or possible warranty service in a decade or two.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
DC Power Systems