[RE-wrenches] Chinese solar cells and modules and pricing

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 13:45:24 PDT 2009

PV enthusiasts-

Perhaps a fresh perspective on these products deserves some attention after the last few thoughts shared by Bill & Joel, who are industry respected stalwarts that deserve and receive alot of respect from me and the rest of us.
As some of us grew up when we thought Japanese types of products- from toys to cars where less durable, they eventually created fantastic products to be the envy of the world. Just look at most electronic gadgets and cars 10 years ago to draw some distinctions.
A new dawn has arrived, which parallels this analogy. The Chinese have been able to import the technology and systems to develop world class modules. using alot of the pick and place robots the other contenders are using. SunPower makes the lions share of their products in the Philippines and I recall the building is so large and long, that you can see the curvature of the earth.
Just as the computer revolution started in the US, most of the parts and silicon platforms have been made in Asia. Sure it can take time to polish the products, but this is inevitable. China will continue to thrive and deliver competitive products that will have quality attributes for years to come as their population gets increased education and awareness of what the world solar stage demands- inexpensive modules.

The PVUSA facility was circa 1986 and sold to David for a buck in 1997. Alot of innovation and understanding came from those formative years and we as an industry are all grateful. As Joel points out, if you are going with these types of products, "check in" with your clients, as this is one of the ways to monitor any signs of degradation. Yes, a Barrons report shared with me says many of the similar things about our Chinese manus' thats hard to ignore:

June 3, 2009, 1:53 pm
China Solar Vendors Slash Module Prices, Analyst Says
Posted by Eric Savitz
Chinese solar vendors are offering modules for prices far below what most
investors likely suspect, according to Hapoalim Securities analyst
Gordon Johnson.
In a research note today, Johnson asserts that some of his “most trusted
industry contacts” say that companies like Yingli (YGE), Suntech (STP) and Trina Solar (TSL) are offering modules for sale at
$1.70-$1.80/watt, or 1.21-1.28 Euros/watt. He notes that at the recent Intersolar conference, the talk was that solar modules were
priced in the 1.60-1.70 Euros/watt range.
Johnson contends that U.S. investors may be underestimating the ability of
Chinese solar module companies to significantly lower their non-silicon costs -
specifically, by cutting wages. He writes that “we are hearing that Chinese
solar module factory workers are willing to work for little-to-no-pay” in order
to improve their company’s competitiveness and “as a matter of national pride.”
According to Johnson, volumes available at the lower price levels is effectively
unlimited.
Johnson, who already had been bearish on the sector, notes that there are 1.5
GW of solar module inventory in the channel, and that Spain, which in 2008
accounted for nearly 50% of global module consumption, “has basically gone to
zero.” His view: “At the risk of stating the obvious, this does not bode well
for U.S./European solar module vendors given the commodity underpinnings which
define this space,” he writes. “Assuming these prices stock, we believe solar
industry fundamentals are in bigger trouble than we expected this year.”
Johnson specifically advises taking short positions in SunPower (SPWRA), Q-Cells (QCE.DE), First Solar (FSLR) and SolarWorld (SWV.DE).

So- where does this leave us?

Clearly this trend is going to continue and perhaps look at it another way. If mod pricing will continue to decline over the next 10 years and infinity and there are a few companies out there who will fail with their products, we will have a declining cost basis for our client base to purchase new products at perhaps a cost delta that is palatable and I envision below dirty power rates. Will it be the $1 watt? This would be a huge milestone and we could be there with growth and innovation leading the race. Increased cell efficiencies with a new mix of products yet to be birthed......

I am not trying to justify bad manufacturers from pumping out poor products, but GM did it for quite a few years in the race to compete and now we own (as a country or the treasury) 60% of the company, which could also be worthless depending upon the tempo of our economy.

The irony is everywhere. We used to be dissapointed that the Chinese government had their hands in their private industries and where constantly meddling, but we are not doing the same- autos, banking and insurance to name a few.

In light of this, even looking at a companies finacials, and peering into the Chinese manus balance sheets could also be unclear, again, as the Barrons reports suggests this might be not telling the whole story.

So, the cost per watt conversation is the one we will have for some time, as this is the leading metric and I think it is more than just a few pennies per watt, but the delta is significantly wider. On the residential scale, of the 2-5kW range, not as influencial, but do a 50kW and north of this and the impact is tangible. in our free market economy you can understand a company offering these products and really stinging the company offering Solarworld (oh, wait - Arco, Siemens, Shell) for a particular project. Mods represent the largest piece of the solar pies project costs, so it is plausible to look for alternatives.

A way to navitage through this minefield of uncertanty, is we need as an industry to perhaps move the conversation from cost per watt to a performance based reality. If we buy power from the utility per kW, my vision is some day we can orchestrate the same. This will greatly improve our field of interest and everyone benefits when performace meets the expectation, regardless of system size. Our treasury, at the fed and state levels will pay proportionatly for actual energy created, levelizing the conversation about subsidies with real time, empirical data to back up the efficacy of what we are doing.

For a better tomorrow~

Keith