[RE-wrenches] Outback GTFX errors

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Apr 9 23:39:47 PDT 2009

Jon:

1. Outback inverters are notorious for reporting errors incorrectly.  Often
the errors are a clue, but not the actual error. As an example, a shorted
AC output might report a "Low Battery Voltage" error because when the
output is shorted, the battery draw is momentarily very high, reducing it's
voltage.  Look for a related symptom.

Have you been able to monitor the AC voltage during inverter sell
operation?  High AC voltage in a grid-tie system can be caused by actual,
intermittent high grid voltage and/or inadequate feeder size, allowing the
inverter to push up the voltage at the inverter end of the feeder.  I've
seen a bad breaker cause this as well.  In any of these described cases,
the inverter error reporting would be accurate.

2. Outback sends out a standard kit of three field-replaceable boards.  You
rarely need to replace all of the boards.  You need to figure out which
board(s) to replace or, ask tech support.  I guess when in doubt, one could
replace all three.  It appears you have narrowed the problem down to not
one of the three boards.

Good luck.

William Miller