[RE-wrenches] Outback GTFX errors

Jon Haeme jjhaeme at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 10 06:28:13 PDT 2009

William,

Thanks for your input. The actual grid voltage I measured never went
above 132VAC in the sell mode. It also has the same error even when
not in the sell mode. I noticed the Mate showed a higher voltage than
my Fluke meter so I tried to calibrate the Mate but it kept flashing
between 260 - 130 V like it thought was stacked with another
inverter. This lead me to check other grid settings but did not turn
up any thing irregular.  Still the grid voltage has never been
anywhere near the AC high V limit of 140V.

The frustrating thing about the Outback tech support was when the
homeowner called and he described the situation and asked that they
talk to me the installer. I got on the phone and started to describe
the problem but I was constantly interrupted by the tech support
person, who clearly did not want to talk to me, and they asked that
the homeowner be put back on the phone.  Then they went through an
explanation that it won't hurt anything to run the inverter and the
the grid just might be running hot. My impression was that this
person was just following a script and when things did not follow the
script they did not know what to do. I don't understand why tech
support would not want to talk with the installer who is doing the
trouble shooting !

Normally I call tech support directly myself but this homeowner wants
to be involved in understanding his system and I encourage that.
Outback menus are not very user friendly and it can be difficult for
homeowners to navigate.  I need to go back and do some more
investigating .

Any other insights would be appreciated.

Jon