[RE-wrenches] Solar Pathfinder vs Solmetric

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Mar 8 15:32:14 PDT 2009

Keith,
We have both and use both. The SolMetric gives more information but has a
steeper learning curve. The grid-tie designers use the SolMetric
exclusively, and include report data and printouts in both system
design/proposal documents (output predictions) and in state tax-credit
eligibility calculations.

I do off-grid work pretty much exclusively, and the analog simplicity of the
Pathfinder appeals to me and the customers. It's kind of a different market
and different customer type -- off-grid customers quickly grok the
Pathfinder sun chart, but are less wowed by the high-tech SolMetric, so
they're easily able to work with the Pathfinder and me to choose a good
array site. Also, having used it for 15 years or so, I'm not likely to
forget how to use the Pathfinder if I haven't used it for a few months.
Also, the batteries never run out on the Pathfinder.

Remember there's software available for the Pathfinder that turns the sun
charts into digital data. We haven't tried it, though.
Do I sound like a dinosaur yet? Maybe a designosaurus?

Re verifying performance, we send out cards once a year asking for readings
to be recorded and sent back to us. All returned cards help us build a
database of real vs. predicted performance.

Allan Sindelar
 <mailto:allan at positiveenergysolar.com> allan(at)positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
Positive Energy, Inc.
3201 Calle Marie
Santa Fe NM 87507
505 424-1112
www.positiveenergysolar.com

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
[mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Keith Cronin

Hello gang

Was wondering, who is using each (or if you are not, I'd like to
learn/understand) and the features/benefits that you see where one is more
desirable than the other.

Also, after this projection of performance, are we checking in with our
clients to verify performance?

Thanks

Keith