[RE-wrenches] Solar Pathfinder vs Solmetric

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 07:07:18 PDT 2009

Hello
I use both.  I am impressed with the what appers to be rapid improvement with the Solmetric.  Also with the for my experiance better customer service with solmetric.  I like the ability to use NREL TMY-3 with Solmetric, and the effect of orentation on performance using the web based material.  I therefore think the Solmetric is more accurate than the pathfinder.  I do not like that I have to use magnetic south when in area with problematic magnetic fields.

Some how it is easier to explain the Pathfinder to the customer.  I would rank them about equal, but expect the solmetric to take the lead

I think that both companies have room for improvement, mostly in the software end by expanding their analysis programs to include tracking, even solar thermal.  This would be a heavy software investment.
Darryl