[RE-wrenches] Oversizing Solar Hot Water Storage?

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 05:19:24 PST 2009

August,

Your assumption about oversizing the storage is correct, too much storage
and the desired usage temperature will not be reached.  Along with upsizing
the storage you must change the design and control mechanism to allow
priority loading of multiple storage tanks.
Load tank 1 till your desired usage setpoint is reached then begin loading
storage tank2 (assuming heat is available) , then tank 3 etc.  Plumbing the
tanks in series on the DHW side will allow you to draw from the warmest tank
in the string.  The Resol BS Plus controller supports such a loading scheme
natively, you might download that controller manual and have a look.  I'm
sure this is one of only many possibilities.

With Regards
Carl