[RE-wrenches] Oversizing Solar Hot Water Storage?

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Jan 30 15:06:09 PST 2009

Hi Solar Hot Water Wrenches -

Does anyone have experience or references to the results of over sizing
solar hot water storage tanks? We've been approached on several instances to
add additional storage (beyond the normal 1 to 2 gallons/ft^2 of collector
size) to help bump up the solar fraction. I can imagine that a grossly
oversized storage tank could just simply never get very warm or that the
standby losses would be excessively large but I'm looking for some more
specific data and information.

Any info or opinions would help.

Thanks, August

August Goers