[RE-wrenches] NABCEP "rant"

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Fri Jan 16 07:22:53 PST 2009

I was recently notified that in order to renew my electricians license, the state had decided to require an code update course and test on the recent changes in the NEC. Last year I wanted to become certified in the green buildings program. Two years ago I wanted to take certification training and testing for the LEEDS program.

What did all these have in common? All I had to do was check the web site for one of the standard testing centers across the US, select the date I wanted, and paid the fee. When I arrived I had to prove who I was, and a licensed testing proctor took care of starting and stopping the test, making sure nobody was cheating, and when the time was up, they placed the tests into a sealed document that was FEDxd to the organization, or in some cases, the tests were completed on line and the proctor was just there to make sure everyone stayed honest and took care of the official start and stop time.   These testing centers are certified and bonded, and can provide both training and testing for any organization anywhere.

These testing centers are now in every city in the US and in many community colleges, and they offer everything from a room full of web-based testing computers, to training rooms that provide large audio/video screens so a distant presenter can be live in 100 other classrooms in 50 different states at the same time.  Two years ago I took part in a live web based evening training session by John Wiles and from my desk computer I could see him live, see his power-point presentation, talk live back with questions, and send text messages as he talked. No fuss, no problems, and very convenient.

So what is the problem? If every other association, certification, and licensing board can utilize these centralized training and testing centers to make it easy for their members to be tested or trained without driving 400 miles, how come NABCEP can't figure this out?

Jeff Yago