[RE-wrenches] Interstate Batteries

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:09:53 PST 2009

I have come to a conclusion:  Utility companies serve two (2) purposes: 1)
To safely and profitably distribute electrical power and 2) To drive PV
integrators insane.

The particular utility of which I speak, Allegheny Power, was responsible
for convincing the Maryland PUC for requiring External Disconnect Switches
on PV installs if they are to be eligible for REC generation.  Now they have
finally gotten around to inspecting a system we installed a year ago where
the EDS was located on the opposite side of the house from the meter (we
made our interconnection at a sub-panel) and they are requiring us to move
it back to the meter location (or install a 200A external service
disconnect).

Does anyone know of any documentation from a utility or AHJ that accepts a
weatherproof label (or plack) on the meter indicating the location of the
EDS when it is not convienient for the meter and EDS to be co-located?

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar Inc.

--
"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor

~William McDonough