[RE-wrenches] 690.31 pics

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Nov 10 18:49:33 PST 2009

Very nice looking work, Dave. We do enough pole mounts that we started
making our own racks. Similar to DP&W, but we weld the head directly
to the pole, and incorporate a screw jack that makes tilt adjustments
easier.
Our inspector hasn't given us any trouble about the exposed wiring,
but we keep it pretty clean and secure, and mount the combiner box
just below the head, to limit the unprotected wiring.
We're protected to below 6 ft, but not 8 ft. Where does it say 8 ft?
398.15 C covers 'open wiring methods' and says conductors above 7 ft
are considered protected from physical damage. Bill Brooks said 8 ft
in his excellent presentation, but I never found the code reference to
that exact height.
110.27 A 4 : 'Guarding of Live Parts' says 8 ft height, but this is
for protection from exposed bare conductors or exposed live parts. All
of our gear is insulated, no exposed live parts, so I think 398.15C is
closer to being applicable. 690.31A says all wiring methods included
in the code shall be permitted, so again 398.15C with 7 ft height
seems to work.

Thanks,

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com