[RE-wrenches] generator

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Nov 11 11:45:21 PST 2009

For a test, install a three prong to two prong adaptor on the
attachment plug, and see if the problem persists.  The neutral to
ground bond is likely made in the generator as well as in the
electrical service. This will cause a current in the equipment
ground, which will trip a GFCI.   It might be possible to undo the
neutral to ground bond in the generator.

Drake

At 07:10 PM 11/10/2009, you wrote:
>Fellow Wrenches,
>
>On an off the grid system we did for a client a year or two back, we
>installed an Outback VFX3524 mounted on a Midnight Solar E Panel.
>They had a manual pull Homelight generator as back up.  All worked well.
>Recently the client upgraded to an electric start 8000 watt Generac
>generator.
>Now every time they start the new generator, the GFI 20 amp
>receptacle on the generator pops.
>There is probably a redundant neutral to ground bond that is causing
>this but I am uncertain on the best approach to remedy this condition
>Any recommendations or experience on how to get the generator to
>interface with the system?
>
>Thanks
>Larry
>
>Larry Brown