[RE-wrenches] Magnum Battery Charger Question

Jason Lerner wapalco at rockisland.com
Sat Sep 26 09:04:34 PDT 2009

Hello All,

Have a question on a Magnum 1212MM-AE.  The battery charger will not
get above 13.8 Volts.  The system worked fine for the first three
weeks with Voltage rising to 14.4 volts for the absorb cycle,  but now
it will not.  The battery size and type setting are correct,  and
using the "custom" charging profile set to 15 Volts does not work.

We have tried unplugging the BTS,  while also making sure the battery
Voltage is below 12.7 when starting the generator.  The remote control
is attached and there is 35 amps going into the battery with a 2KW
honda.  It will sit at 13.8 Volts and do an absorb cycle for 2 hours
and then go into float.  There are 4 golf cart batteries in the system
and all cells check out good, no dead cells,  and connection are all
bright and tight. Turning the main DC disconnect off while the gen is
running shows 14.8 Volts at the battery terminals of the inverter,
but the batteries will not rise above 13.8.  Magnum says the battery
charger is fine since it goes up to 14.8 when the batteries are
disconnected, but that doesn't make for a very efficient charger if it
is not connected to the batteries......

I am not familiar with these chargers,  did I miss something,  any
ideas?
Thanks,

Jason Lerner
Waldron Power and Light Co.