[RE-wrenches] fronius IG Plus practical engineering WAA???

Nick Vida nickvida at ymail.com
Sat Jun 20 12:23:25 PDT 2009

hey Wrenches.

I opened my soon to be installed fronius IG Plus to see what was going on in there, and found myself a bit disappointed. There is a 6 string combiner in there which is fine, however there is no bypass for the fusing section and the terminals are rated at 20 amps. In a situation where you have 6 strings, you cannont combine on the roof and run down with a pair of conductors, instead you must run down with your strings. This means instead of running 3/4 conduit for 8awg pair and ground, I would have to run 1" conduit for 6 pairs of 10 awg and ground.
(thats a lot of flex for a 2x4!!)  So if I need a disconect on the roof, I would need 2 disconects, and correct me if im wrong-- but i would need 4 disconects in the future because this is a transformerless inverter.
I also noticed that they are still using those mediocre white plastic terminals for the ac connection that so many people found annoying.
And fyi, there are no fuses in the fusing section, so dont forget to order them.