[RE-wrenches] FW: NABCEP "rant"

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Jan 16 15:33:28 PST 2009

As promised, a forwarded message from Rebecca Eaton. A second message will
follow.
Allan at PosE

Hello Colleagues on the RE Wrenches List Serve,

I am writing in response to an earlier list serve posting that was forwarded
to me.  The list serve member had expressed concern about accessibility of
NABCEP certification exam test locations and indicated that I had promised
him a site and later rescinded the offer.  While I have responded with a
detailed email to the individual and two staff members have spent a
considerable amount of time addressing his concerns this week, I would like
to post a response for your viewing.

NABCEP is extremely committed to removing barriers for candidates interested
and eligible to take the certification exams.  NABCEP periodically assesses
the patterns of applications and registrant locations for the certification
exams. The organization chose twenty different testing locations in North
America to serve test-takers based on its recent assessment. The
certification exams require facilities that are compliant with the American
for Disabilities Act needs of test-takers, meet NABCEP’s security criteria,
accommodate the expected number of test-takers, and have a professional
proctor available to administer the exam at the site, among other test
center criteria.  In addition to the expense associated with securing test
sites and proctors, a significant amount of staff time is spent in assessing
registrant patterns and securing test sites to accommodate regional clusters
of test-takers.

At no time did I or other NABCEP staff promise that if five people in a
region registered for the exam, NABCEP would provide a test location nearby.
It takes time and additional expense to secure a new test site, and I am
convinced there was a misunderstanding in a conversation with a NABCEP staff
member to think that we would secure a new test center at this time.  I have
apologized to the individual for the misunderstanding, and as with most
misunderstandings, two parties have a role in the misunderstanding.  A staff
member explained that when NABCEP sees a cluster of test-takers from
different regions in the country; the organization seeks to modify its
approved test centers accordingly.  However, that is done on a periodic
basis and not typically done so close to the administration of an exam.

I appreciate the effort required to prepare for and sit for NABCEP’s
certification exams.  Best wishes to those of you preparing for the upcoming
certification exam and thank you for the opportunity to post this note.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Eaton
Executive Director
The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners
(NABCEP)
1110 Bonifant Street, Suite 210
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Tele. (800) 654-0021