[RE-wrenches] State licensing for PV installers in Texas

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 17:26:02 PDT 2008

It seems odd, in Texas we are considered a right-to-work state, unions are not a powerful entity as in a number of other states. You will find most Union Electricians, at least here in the North Texas area, work for cities and larger corporations. Due to the huge military-aerospace industry in Fort Worth and Dallas most large mil-contractors (think Lockheed Martin) only use Union workers. This includes Electricians. >From this perspective, I don't see a lot of union power concentrated in Texas.
But the IEC is very active in the balance of the state among retail and commercial scale Electrical Contractors.
So I guess I don't understand the caution by TREIA in their dealings with the unions. Bob's right, there is plenty of work for everybody. So is the Texas union lobby being coached by IBEW members from outside the state?
I guess considering the history of unions in the US I would not be surprised to see a power grab.
Jim Duncan