[RE-wrenches] State licensing for PV installers in Texas

Bob Maynard bob.maynard at grosolar.com
Wed Oct 29 16:47:10 PDT 2008

We had a lot of resistance from the unions.  I remember testifying
before a Senate hearing and there were just three of us from the
industry speaking for the creation of the license. The unions had at
least 6 paid lobbyists speaking against it.  In the end we prevailed
when a Senator asked the union lobbyists for specific details of their
renewable energy training programs and they had none in place!  To help
bring peace, we put together a 10kw project with the local utility to be
installed on the State Capitol.  We handed it to the unions to install
and coordinated it with a professional pv training course.  The thing to
remember is this industry is going to grow so fast, there will not be
enough solar electricians to do all the work and we need the manpower of
the traditional electrical industry to help deploy all the solar yet to
be installed!

Regards,
Bob Maynard

VP NW Distribution Sales

groSolar   What the World Needs. NOW

535 NE Westbrook Way

Grants Pass, OR 97526
Direct:     541.291.4044

TollFree: 800.467.6527 x4044
Fax:         541.476.7480
Mobile:   541.761.1636

groSolar.com <http://www.grosolar.com/>

http://blog.groSolar.com <http://blog.grosolar.com/>

North America's Premier Installer, Distributor and Integrator of Solar
Energy Solutions

Distributor for Evergreen Solar, Suntech Power, SMA, Fronius, PV
Powered,  Outback Power, GridPoint, UniRac, Heliodyne SHW and other
premier renewable energy products