[RE-wrenches] Request for Enphase inverter comments

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sat Oct 25 20:11:11 PDT 2008

Hi Mark;

I appreciate your concern with replacing a faulty inverter:
definitely sounds troublesome, about as much work as replacing a
faulty module.
But consider this: An Enphase inverter failure will only diminish the
total system performance by one panel, the rest of the modules will
still be working.
With a large single inverter failure, you have more of an emergency
call.
I actually find the redundancy of the Enphase appealing, but again I
haven't tried one yet.

Ray Walters

> If we look ahead at the Enphase we see a very different situation.
> Here we
> are still getting replacement of the inverter. Instead of a field
> service
> fee for the installer, the customer gets a cost of energy refund?
> But now,
> in order to service the inverter, we have to get on the roof,
> disassemble
> the array, replace the inverter, re-assemble the array. And this
> will may
> have to be done multiple many time over the life of the system.
> The real
> cost to the installer/customer here is huge and not even nominally
> close to
> the value of lost energy production.
>
> I agree with Bill, that in this case the nature of the warranty is
> not the
> really significant issue here.  The issue is the cost to maintain and
> operate a system that falls to the owner after the manufacture and
> installers are long gone.
>
> I am disappointed by the warranty offering not so much for what it
> is, but
> that it is offered as a substitute for reasonable representations
> as to the
> projected life-cycle cost of ownership of systems based this product.
>
> I give my customers a 25 ROI projection for each of my systems.  I
> include
> nominal array maintainence costs and inverter replacement costs
> (parts and
> labor) at year 12.
> The question arises, what model for real maintenance costs over a
> 25 year
> term should be included in estimates for an Enphase system.
>
> Our industry is mature enough that we should expect this kind of
> information
> from all providers, old and new.
>
> Mark Frye
> Berkeley Solar Electric Systems