[RE-wrenches] Request for Enphase inverter comments

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Oct 25 08:35:27 PDT 2008

I appreciate that the Enphase is a ground breaking new product.

I am not antagonist on principle.

It appears that the warranty has been extended to 15 year from the initial
10 year offering. This is good.

But, we are talking about two very different long term service models.

Single large inverter manufactures provide a field service fee of about $100
which nominally covers the cost of going out, trouble shooting, opening some
disconnects, and replacing the inverter, all without going on the roof and
touching the array.  With a single inverter this is a once or twice in a
lifetime event.

If we look ahead at the Enphase we see a very different situation. Here we
are still getting replacement of the inverter. Instead of a field service
fee for the installer, the customer gets a cost of energy refund? But now,
in order to service the inverter, we have to get on the roof, disassemble
the array, replace the inverter, re-assemble the array. And this will may
have to be done multiple many time over the life of the system.  The real
cost to the installer/customer here is huge and not even nominally close to
the value of lost energy production.

I agree with Bill, that in this case the nature of the warranty is not the
really significant issue here.  The issue is the cost to maintain and
operate a system that falls to the owner after the manufacture and
installers are long gone.

I am disappointed by the warranty offering not so much for what it is, but
that it is offered as a substitute for reasonable representations as to the
projected life-cycle cost of ownership of systems based this product.

I give my customers a 25 ROI projection for each of my systems.  I include
nominal array maintainence costs and inverter replacement costs (parts and
labor) at year 12.
The question arises, what model for real maintenance costs over a 25 year
term should be included in estimates for an Enphase system.

Our industry is mature enough that we should expect this kind of information
from all providers, old and new.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way