[RE-wrenches] Best Off-Grid Equalize Charging Method

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Oct 25 10:59:46 PDT 2008

Jeff,
I agree with you about most arrays being too small to sufficiently overcome
internal resistance and get voltage high enough to effectively equalize. I
won't advise either (early or late) approach to running the generator. Most
homeowners won't understand the variables and subtlety involved in
determining when and how to EQ. Rather, I will often advise that the
homeowner considers the gennie as the only tool to pump enough amps into the
batteries. I'll suggest that equalization be done during the day when the
sun is shining, and that both array and generator are used together. This
maximizes the C/rate and has the greatest likelihood of reaching full EQ
voltage and holding it there. Flooded batteries can handle up to around a
C/7 rate if in good condition.
Allan at Positive Energy