[RE-wrenches] Security hardware

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Oct 1 19:52:19 PDT 2008

We've found it was pretty easy to get those security bolts off, when
we lost the little adapter tool. One of my guys had the security
hardware off in minutes with a Leatherman.
Another option is to use 1/4 inch stainless rivets. They're a bitch
to drill out, but they need more exact hole sizing to work right.
(they use them in Prisons)
Hansen Rivet has them for I think about $1.60/ rivet. The rivet gun
is $125.
Just buggering the threads on SS bolts will cause them to spall on
removal, and have to be broken or cut off. Its easy and low cost.
I was considering on a few jobs welding a piece of angle over the
edge of the module, so that it would have to be ground off to get the
panel.
For the Forest Service, we put the modules on 20 ft poles for security.
Then there's the red necks with guns problem... Hard to make modules
bullet proof.

Ray Walters
SolarRay, Inc.

On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Hans Frederickson wrote:

> After reading this article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/technology/24solar.html?
> _r=2&oref=slogin&o
> ref=slogin
>
> I was reminded to look into offering security options to customers
> with
> particularly accessible arrays. Unirac offers starhead bolts with
> breakaway
> nuts:
> http://www.unirac.com/pdf/ii909.pdf
>
> I'm interested in hearing about folks' experience with this
> hardware, or
> equivalent systems. What other measures do you take to safeguard an
> installation for your customers? At a minimum, I will now use an
> engraving
> tool to mark each module with the installation address. I'm curious
> to hear
> other ideas. <insert standard joke about energizing the metal parts
> and
> bypassing GFI protection here>
>
> I'm sure this was covered before, so if anyone has links to past
> threads on
> this topic, please post that so newer members can look in the archive.
>
> Thanks,
> -Hans

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings: