[RE-wrenches] PV and home value

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 08:10:17 PDT 2008

Strictly anecdotal evidence:

The house next to us was on the market this past spring.  While showing the house to some prospective buyers one Saturday, the real estate agent and the interested couple were in the back yard of the home, where the agent looked over the fence and noticed the PV and solar hot water on the south roof of my home.

After the showing, the agent came over to confirm it was solar equipment on our home (I was outside at the time).  She asked if I was interested in selling.  I wasn't.  She wanted to know if I knew anyone with solar who wanted to sell.  I didn't.

She told me their office had two solar equipped homes listed in 2007 (PV and DHW), and both sold within 48 hours of being posted on the MLS system *because* they were solar, and both got the full asking price.  She said one of the homes had a purchase offer before they got the "For Sale" sign put in the yard.

This occurred in a very depressed real estate market.

Only two data points .. but informative.

Dan