Kyocera [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 20 10:30:17 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Often Japanese companies do not communicate well with their foreign
divisions. At least two other factors come into play. Japanese companies use
the consensus process for strategic decision making which allows for
tactical decision making while consensus is being built. However, foreign
divisions are not included in the consensus process so they end up
"following orders." Because consensus building is made in secrecy, foreign
divisions are usually reactive. Few Japanese companies inspire loyalty
within their foreign divisions because they often have a "bamboo curtain,"
different language, culture, and alphabet that fundamentally blocks
communications and a "bamboo ceiling" that blocks foreigners from promotion
to top management. Likewise, Chinese, German, US, and other companies have
unique cultural characteristics which are important to understand when doing
business with them. Finally, not all Japanese, Chinese, Germans, Americans,
etc. behave as you might expect, but their companies can often be
stereotypical resulting in split personalities that can confuse your
business decisions. The best advice is nothing new - judge a person and a
company by their actions, not their words.