Ananda Alumni: Mercury relay question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon May 26 20:52:00 PDT 2008

Mick,
Todd is correct on the role of the diode.

I have not heard of exploding mercury contactors - not to question Darryl's
experience, but in APT applications I have never seen a failure. We have
collected quite a few MDI contactors when we add a decent MPPT charge
controller, and reused some in other applications.

I have ordered mercury contactors from MDI (Mercury Displacement Industries,
the manufacturer used by Ananda/APT/Pulse) a couple of times over the years.
It's very hard to find an open coil relay with a coil voltage higher than
24V DC; also arcing becomes increasingly problematic at higher DC voltages.
The MDI units are available in 35, 60, and 100 Amps DC, 1-, 2-, and 3-pole,
and a variety of coil voltages. I don't know of another way to get a 60A
relay with a 48V DC coil. All available products can be ordered from their
website.

Incidentally, I recently blew an "ice-cube" relay switching a Shurflo 9300
pump running array-direct at around 33 volts DC. That's only a few amps, and
I misjudged the arcing potential. I replaced it (under our own labor
warranty) with a 30A DPST open-coil relay; much more robust.

Allan at PosEnergy