Alkaline battery opinions wanted [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Fri May 23 10:25:29 PDT 2008

Hello, all~

A prospective client has led me to review my opinions about
nickel-cadmium and nickel-iron batteries. For several years now, my
views have been:

* Quality ni-cad is available, but ni-fe manufacturers have a less
impressive quality story (...much less impressive in some cases, but
don't get me started.)

* Since nobody seems to have well made ni-fe cells, nickel-iron is still
not an option for new installations.

* Cost per cycle for quality nickel-cadmium is much greater than cost
per cycle for quality lead acid, so why bother?

How about it, Wrenches? Can you offer endorsements for alkaline
batteries? Are those for batteries that we can actually buy? Have the
extreme price increases for lead narrowed the cost gap?

Thanks as always,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com