[RE Marketing] 400 ft DC voltage drop [RE-wrenches]

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Thu May 1 06:51:27 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Actually, I used the formula, and re-wrote all of the VD tables to correct
for a HIGHER temperature, because it is rare that the conductors will be at
room temperature, at least where I work.  True, portions of our DC homeruns
are often underground, but often not, and then there are all of the cables
on the panels that are at quite elevated temperatures.  This correction has
usually, but not always, increased my wire sizes 1 AWG or MM wire size above
what is often recommended in the tables.

Walt
SunEnergy Power International

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom DeBates [mailto:habitek83 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:41 AM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: [RE Marketing] 400 ft DC voltage drop [RE-wrenches]

good day Wrenches,
  I have used NEC Chapter 9, Table 8 for DC conductor resistance and
have noticed that the data is for conductors @ 75C. Since most of these
"runs" would be below grade, wouldn't the conductor temp be lower (~20C
?) I see that Note #2 has a correction factor, but I've always been too
lazy to try it. Has anyone done this and, if so, has it made much of a
difference?
thanks,
Tom

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com